Monday, August 30, 2010

I'm here, I'm here, Yeesh!

Well well well.
So my little crafty fair of craftness went off without a major hitch, and the only minor ones being a) it was 98 hot degrees that day and b) I didn't make any money once you facor in costs, I actually lost a LOT.
BUT!!  But it was only my first fair, and I did it for the experience and not the money (good thing!) and I managed to make new crafty friends, which is a feat in and of itself for me since I am such a hermit normally.  I did sell some items, and upon checking my google analytics the traffic was up on my etsy store with 88 new visitors that day and the next, so that is WONDERFUL!!!  Okay, enough of my bragginess... here's how it went down. 
I managed to wake up at a respectable time, and the set-up for the even started at 10.  I got there at 9:59, and was suprised to see I was the 4th to arrive (there was a total of about 20 vendors).  Luckily, the organizer (Kelly Cook) was awesome and helpful and she was able to do her organizey duties as well as help me set up a little.  Another passer-by helped me with my tent, and then I needed to figure out where to put everything.  I had intentions of setting things up in a dry-run the week before, but I chickened out because I knew if it didn't look good then I would freak and not do the show. It took me the full 2 hours to get everything out the way I wanted it to be, and in the end looked like this.

(the pics aren't that great, but you get the gist)
I was actually fairly happy at how it turned out, though next time I know that I need a little more variation in the heights of table displays, and that I may choose a different "layout" since this left me very little room to move around.
 Plus, it was so hot, that (3rd pic) later in the day I had to move the backdrop curtians so that I could get a tiny breeze, and I think that took away from the look, but I didn't want to be fainting. That wouldn't have been good.
So the event technically started at 12, but no one really arrived until 3:30.  This was the first year they did an artists/crafts block, and the main event was the 45 bands that were playing throughout the day starting at, you guessed it, 3:30.  Kelly said that she plans on doing another year, but will start later next year, so I think that would be awesome.
I set out all of my items, and also a photo album (that I plan to continually update) with crafts that I've previously made for Etsy and also for swaps, and I think that a lot of people enjoyed seeing those.
I also had a woman ask me about an item that I made previously but didn't have any of at the time, and she took a card, so I am hoping that I canb put that in the etsy store for her!
Okay, so, I want all kinds of input that you're willing to give on what I can do to look better (the booth, not me, I KNOW what I can do...) and what you would have liked to see if you had been there.
Lay it on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment